Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Teaching High School

Being a high school teacher in Compton is one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult, jobs I've ever had.

Paramount is a feeling of inadequacy, that this task is just too big for me.

I am only in my second year teaching, but I feel like a failure almost every day. I don't know how teachers do it - how they remain confident, positive, and in the profession for years. This is a second career for me; I started in middle age so perhaps starting younger gives one an edge.

I feel like the job would be much easier if I could count on students to do their job; that is, pull their weight on assignments and maintaining respect for the classroom. Granted, I don't always have my stuff together, but I feel like I am pummeled by those few ill-mannered, disrespectful students to be ultimately made to look a fool in front of the class.

There are days I just want to be rescued, via a deux-ex-machina. I really don't know how long I will stay in this profession.

No comments: